The summer heat has been nothing short of relentless this year. I really can’t blame it on you, Houston, but can’t we have a little break in the heat with a nice rainshower that doesn’t feel like a sauna afterwards? Ah, such is the life of living in the south I guess, and I’ve got to admit after living here for 5 years I am getting used to it more and more but I’ll probably always complain about it. My makeup and hair routine tends to change as the temperature raises so today I’m sharing a few of my summer makeup and hair essentials that have been keeping me sane over the past month.
Some years it’s easy to have lazy summer hair that I just throw up in a messy bun or twist into beachy waves and go, but this year I’m trying to be nice to my hair after bleaching the living daylights out of it in 2015. As such I’m trying to baby my hair and use ultra hydrating products on it, a minimal amount of heat and somehow make it look like it isn’t a hot mess. Aiding with my summer hair misson are these two products:
1. Dessange Paris Purifying Clay Shampoo (and Pre-Shampoo Mask), $9.99 – $11.99, target.com | I have an oily scalp with dry ends so this line has been excellent this summer especially. I can definitely feel the difference when using this shampoo daily, and when using the pre-shampoo mask I can typically go one extra day without shampooing which is impressive. I still use a lightweight conditioner on the ends of my hair after using these products but overall they are a winner for me!
2. Kenra Platinum Blow-Dry Spray, $13, ulta.com | Technically meant to decrease the dry-time and act as a thermal protectant when using a blow dryer, I’ve been using this even when I don’t blow dry to help my hair dry faster, and the scent is amazing! It is chock full of silicones which are good at masking damaged hair and making it look and feel more smooth and shiny (hurrah!), but it isn’t something that should be used every single day since over time silicone buildup can cause drying and dullness to the hair. I’ve been using it when I want a really polished look and find it even works well as a heat protectant on my dry hair when I do get out the curling iron or flat iron. If I start feeling buildup I work in a clarifying shampoo once a week which does the trick for me, but I still use it sparingly.
Oh the joys of summer makeup! The heat and humidity do nothing but nightmarish things for a face full of makeup so I’ve been sticking with products that mattify, give that perfect touch of glisten and products that are easy and practical to work which means I actually enjoy wearing makeup in the summer, instead of regretting it as I’m standing outside in 101 degree heat.
3. MAC Palette (Nordstrom Exclusive), $65, nordstrom.com | I purchased this original Nordstrom Naturals palette some time ago (featured here) and it has consistently been a staple in my eye makeup routine. Although this particular version is no longer available, there are a couple alternatives that are Nordstrom exclusives, as well as the MAC Warm Neutrals or MAC Cool Neutrals palette which are similar. The pans in these curated palettes are smaller than a regular size MAC shadow and they are not easily removable from the palette but the MAC quality is solid and I find these among the easiest shadows to work with off all of my palettes. My go-to summer shades have been Wedge, Omega, Woodwinked, All That Glitters, and Amber Lights.
4. Laura Geller Baked Gelato in Peach Glow, $26, nordstrom.com | Since reviewing all four shades I have been addicted to getting a precisely placed glow all summer long. I consistently place it on the tops of my cheekbones, cupids bow and brow highlight even if I am doing simple makeup. I don’t know if it is because it is summertime and I’m in the mood for some sheen, but I absolutely love the way it looks and performs. You can see it isn’t messy at all in the pan, which is quite opposite of other popular highlighters which shall remain unnamed, yet it delivers the most angelic and natural sheen that can easily be built up and lasts all day. Definitely going down as an all-time favorite highlighting product in my book! Oh and Peach Glow seems to be the one I most gravitate to on a daily basis.
5. Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof, $8.99, ulta.com | The last time I fell in love with a waterproof mascara it was this one by MAC, but I’ve got to give props to Maybelline for this waterproof mascara creation which does a great job at making my lashes look voluminous, separated and full all the same time. The waterproof formula not only keeps it from running when things get hot (or wet) outside, plus my lashes hold their curl because of the waterproof formula which is fabulous! I purchased this in early June when we made a trip to Six Flags and I have noticed the formula has been getting increasingly thicker so I have to adjust the amount I put on the brush and wipe it off before application so it performs the same. I can’t complain too much though – it still works great!
6. Covergirl Clean Matte BB Cream, $8.49, ulta.com | Although I’ve professed my favorite BB and CC creams like these ones over the years I was feeling like I wanted something a bit less “glowy”, especially with all of that perfectly place glow from my highlighters I’ve been addicted to this year. I stumbled upon the new Covergirl Clean Matte BB Cream in the drugstore and purchased two shades – 520 (light) and 530 (light/medium). Of the two shades my summer shade is most definitely 530 (light/medium) and matches perfectly. The finish is matte and the coverage is medium. It can be built up slightly but don’t over apply or it can look cakey. The one thing that has me scratching my head about this “bb cream”, however is that it doesn’t contain any sort of SPF and I’m not noticing any “skin loving” ingredients that are typically found in other products marketed as BB Creams. That said, after first applying an SPF (it is a must!) and then going in with this on a dampened beauty blender or dampened buffing brush this light foundation product has been one I’ve reached for consistently over the past five weeks. It lasts all day on my oily skin and by the end of the day it still looks great.
What are your favorite summer makeup and hair essentials to help you beat the heat, fight the shine, and generally keep you sane during the hottest months of the year?
FTC Disclosure: This post features products sent by the brand or PR for consideration, and some products were purchased by VanityRouge. This post contains affiliate links. For more details on our sponsored posts, review policy and affiliate link information, please see our Terms & Conditions page.
More on VanityRouge
It’s a Go For Lips with Zoya The Perfect LipstickJanuary 13, 2017
The Third Time is Pure Charm for the Zoya Naturel 3 Nail Polish and Lip Color CollectionJanuary 6, 2017
Oh That December Feeling – POPSUGAR Must Have BoxJanuary 5, 2017
Last-Minute Gifts from SEPHORA Collection Holiday 2016December 21, 2016
Liked this post? Share it with friend!